Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mid-summer Morning Musings

I apologize for the alliteration...

Yesterday was a very busy day. I like busy days. Sitting and watching the clock is never any fun; even less so when you aren't getting paid to do so. The few times that I was able to look at the clock yesterday showed 3-4 hour jumps since the previous look. My day started at 4am, for that is when I woke up. That is also the time I started working on the store.

I'm rearranging the space I have, you see. Primarily, I am running out of room for products. An additional concern is visibility. Both for customers, and for me. Hiding places are too convenient for those who want liberate bike parts from the oppressive control of the bike shop. Sadly, this has already happened.

So, I'm opening up sight lines and arranging items a little more logically.

Repair-wise, everything that came in yesterday went out yesterday. A tune-up, a chain replacement and grip installation, a flat repair, and a new tire installation. Ergo, if you need work done on your bike, the schedule is open.

Most days, business dies off around 6pm. Not yesterday. That's when it picked up. The store was already having a pretty good day, but from 6pm until 8:30pm when I finally closed, it was really hopping.

After closing, I worked on hanging more gridwall and assembling display fixtures. I finally fell into bed around 11:30pm. These 19.5 hour days are hell, but there's still a lot to do here to make it the best bike shop it can be. I'll never settle for just good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment